NOMINATE NOW FOR THE AFRICAN INNOVATIONS AWARD
The African Innovations Award seeks to promote uniqueness amongst African businesses and individuals to raise the bar by inspiring the next generation to be distinct and establish outstanding businesses that can compete internationally.
Having organized successful TEDx events in Ghana, we realized that there are several developmental problems that are present in all African countries. This indicates that ideas and innovative solutions on Education, Healthcare, Technology, Energy and Agriculture can be simultaneously implemented in member countries across Africa.
We have collectively decided to recognize and award innovative thinkers across the continent. This will encourage the youth to continue creating unique business that will serve as a solution to the major problems confronting the growth of the African continent.
Our aim is to “RECOGNIZE THE MINDS THAT INSPIRE OUR CONTINENT”
RELEVANCE OF AIA
Recognizing innovation across Africa in key sectors.
Encouraging continental solutions & ideas from Africans themselves, hence fuelling AFRICAN INNOVATION.
Building a strong African Innovation Eco-system.
Increasing the relevance of research and development of various developmental issues on our continent.
The winners of AIA must possess the best innovation based on marketability, originality, scalability, social impact, scientific/technical aspect and clear business potentials. The winners will be determined based on their products’ uniqueness and their potential Contribution to the socio-economic development in Africa.
-Applications begin 1st September 2015..The deadline to apply is November 30th, 2015.
-Short listing: 7th – 31th Dec 2015: The Initial shortlisting will be done by a selection panel.
-Background check: 11th – 25th Jan 2016: Our secretariat will carry out background checks on ownership and authenticity of the short- listed applicants. If need be, on-site visits may also be carried out.
-Phone Interviews: 1st -29th Feb 2016: The selection panel will interview short listed applicant to determine the finalists who would be listed in the final selection.
-Invitation Letters Sent 1th -10th March 2016: The secretariats will send official invitation letters to all the 15 finalists to attend the biggest TEDx event in Ghana, TEDxAccra.
-Innovation Demonstration Talk: April 5, 2016: 15 finalists. 3 from each category will share with attendees of TEDxAccra their innovative ideas and receive questions from the attendees. Judging of the finalist will be the performed by the selection panel.
-Awards Ceremony April 9, 2016: AIA 20I6 winners will be announced and awarded at a special ceremony as part of climaxing TEDxAccra2016.
1) Originality: The uniqueness of the product and its superiority in comparison with similar or alternative products in the market;
2) Marketability: The extent to which the innovation sufficiently addresses the problem it seeks to solve at a price or model that is accessible to the target market;
3) Scalability: The extent to which the solution can be easily applied to other similar markets beyond the applicant’s immediate or local environment;
4) Social impact:The ability of the innovation to positively affect, create or make desirable changes within the targeted communities and beyond;
5) Scientific/Technical aspects: For tangible technical/scientific products; this refers to extent to which the technical specifications of the innovation are grounded on established science and sufficiently address any anticipated product risks.
6) Gender and disability: How far various innovators went in properly integrating gender and disability perspectives to their projects. This has become a critical part of any futuristic innovation.
7) Sustainable Development: Every innovator will also be assessed on how environmentally friendly their products or services are and how well the whole project supports the course of sustainable development.